Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mama Roxy Photo Tribute Part II

Well, as promised, here are more photos of Mama Roxy. A million thanks to my cousins Angel, Desiree, Lauren, Brandon and Rodney for staying up all night to scan, print and collage photographs for Mama Roxy! There are so many photographs - eventually I'll get them all up here but it will take some time.

Keep in mind that Mama Roxy was only 5'2" at her absolute tallest without heels, but back in the early 60's models were not the tall glamazons of today - they reflected the height (if not the weight) of their customers, especially because they would model in-person designer shows, where the customers would actually try on what they liked after they saw the designs modeled. A different era definitely!

All photographs are copyright (c) 2008 Aquelah Davis, and no photgraphs may be retransmitted without express written or electronic permission of Aquelah Davis. Feel free to link to this site.

Thank you,

Aquelah


Looking at all of these photographs, Mama reminds me of an African-American Grace Kelly - she was so ahead of her time!

















I like this picture most of all. To me, before she passed away, she looked like this.



















This is Mama Roxy and Papa. Mama Roxy is pregnant with me!



















That's my Mama!

















Mama and Mr. Sidney Portier.



















Mama and Johnny Mathis, who she absolutely adored!



















Mama and Mr. John H. Johnson, former president and CEO of Johnson Publishing, Johnson Products, and Fashion Fair Cosmetics.












Bohemian Mama - I love this picture of her! While she didn't espouse the hippie lifestyle AT ALL, she looks like a hippie here doesn't she?













She sure was stylish!











I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it was to wear this
dress, or this hair! I wonder what kind of shoes she had on?















2 comments:

glamah16 said...

I love these photos! My favorite one was the one where she is pregnant with you and the one with Sidney( because he looks like my father!).The hippie was is too fun!She had a quiet liberal streak.

Anonymous said...

Roxanne was definitely a knockout!
I told Roxanne,when she showed me her album, that she had taken a
picture with my favorite actor of
all times, Mr. Sidney Poitier. If
I didn't have the chance to meet
him, I glad that Roxy did. It kind
of gives me the feeling that I met
him through Roxy. He touched her,
and so did I. Roxy touched so many
lives, in such a wonderful way. I
am a better person, for having known her.