Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Today's Visit with Mama Roxy

Today my brother, cousin and I visited Mama Roxy to make sure that everything was as she would have wanted. I struggled with whether to see her at all, as did my brother and I'm sure my cousin as well. In the past (with our grandmother especially) we've been to funerals where the loved one didn't look at all as they did in life, and we didn't want to be traumatized by seeing her looking radically different than she did when she was living.

I was truly astounded - Mama Roxy looked beautiful and raidant, and just like she did when she was alive. We are so grateful to Vicki, her very close friend who is a makeup artist, who took the time out of her busy schedule and gathered the strength to make up Mama as she would have wanted. She looked just perfect. We also must thank Cage Memorial Chapel for doing such an outstanding job on her hair and on dressing Mama - she looked so beautiful and our memories of her will always be comforting because she looks just like she wanted to look.

The services will still be closed casket as she wanted, but I wanted to let everyone know that she looks as beautiful as she did in life.

A special thanks also to Brandon for being there with us - as beautiful as she was it was difficult to see her there and know that she is gone - and we know it was hard for you. She loved you so much and we know how much you love her. Thank you Brandon.

Love,

Aquelah

1 comment:

glamah16 said...

Oh wow. I know that must have been hard. And I admire Vickys strength to perform this makeover. But really, only Vicky could have done Mama Roxy justice.Im glad your final image of Mama Roxy was at her beautiful best. See she's orchestrating it all from above. Just the way she liked it.