Sunday, July 27, 2008

A New Chapter

Things are quieting down, and it feels like life has totally changed - life before Mama Roxy and life after Mama Roxy's passing. I'm pretty numb right now and trying to keep extremely busy and to keep going so that I don't get off track or 'get stuck' so to speak.

These last few days have been bittersweet - it was hard to watch everyone go home but at the same time, it is time to move forward with life and move beyond this 1st grieving stage. I picked out a headstone on Saturday, then went and visited Mama Roxy's grave. It's still so surreal that she's gone and I can't talk to her 10 times a day like I used to, or see her every weekend.

I also went with my cousin Joyce and her friend Pat down to our family farm for the first time, fed and watered some steers, and mowed the grass with a little tractor. It was therapeutic -the weather was perfect and at times it felt like Mama was sitting in a tree watching and smiling.

The steers freaked me out a little because it seemed they would all stop eating and just stare at me every once in awhile. I've been on farms and around cows and steers before, but I've never seen them do that - freaky!

At any rate I'm going back home sometime today, to get back to my 'real' life as best I can. I want to thank my cousin Judy for the best meal ever after Mama's funeral - I have never in my life had better comfort food, and for my brother and I it was the first time we really ate a full meal since before Mama passed.

I also want to give a million thanks to my cousins Angel, Desiree, Maurice, Lauren, Rodney and Brandon for driving all the way from Texas to support us - the collage (which I'll post a picture of) was amazing and absolutely perfect! Thank you Todd and Sharon for coming up from the South and supporting us and being here for us and especially for JD - I can't tell you how much your presence means to all of us. Thank you to our Chicago family - especially Willa Dee, Damien, Michael, Tina, Brian - we need to stay close folks.

If there's in the family crew that I missed, please forgive me - I am so grateful for all of your love and support.

Aquelah

2 comments:

glamah16 said...

I would be freaked out to with cows staring at me. Im sure your Mom was just looking on and laughing.

Anonymous said...

I believe those cows could since something in you, and that they
were somehow connecting with you.
Mama Roxy must have been watching!